As you're probably aware of, Dual Universe is currently in closed Pre-Alpha, only accessible to Gold Kickstarter and crowdfunding portal backers and above. As previously announced, this implies that current Pre-Alpha testers of the game are under NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).
Still, we wanted to give to the whole community a glimpse of what has been recently added and improved in the game! We have a really big changelog this time around. You’ll know everything that has changed in the latest version ahead of the test of tomorrow, January 26th.
Here’s an example of the visual progresses recently accomplished with a thorough optimization. You can notice the details are better while being less demanding in terms of computer calculation! (still WIP)
Additional content and functions
- Added an early version of the Blueprint feature! You can now create a Blueprint by using right-click -> Create Blueprint, and recreate a construct using the “Blueprint tool”. This is very far from the final Blueprint feature, but it allows you to save your constructs and finally make them “wipe-proof”.
- Added XYZ coordinates feedback on raycasted shapes to the reticle UI.
- Added scale feedback on raycasted shapes to the reticle UI.
- Added the “Area smooth tool”, which smooths a customizable volume (just like the “Select tool”) instead of inside a spherical brush.
- Removed Contextual tips for tools and added a toggleable helper legend (hold “H” to display).
- Added volume limitation to the inventory and other containers, and added proper volume values for each element. We’re keeping the limits very high until the full game loop is in place, and inventories aren’t fully stuffed anymore.
- Added the option to equip items in a transient slot by double-clicking them in the inventory.
- Added the ability to access the settings menu from the login screen.
- Added Sliding door elements.
- Added the ability to tweak shadow rendering in the settings menu.
- Added in-game feedback for when there is nothing to undo.
- Added minimap display on atmosphere-less celestial bodies.
- Significantly increased the number of server-side monitoring tools and instrumentation.
- Added Emitter and Receiver elements, which allows for inter-construct LUA and signal communication.
- Added Antenna decorative elements (available in 3 different sizes).
- Improved first loading after character creation (in the start room) so it’s faster.
- Improved overall loading times.
- Improved core unit element sizes so they are now consistent with building zone scale (beware: this will alter the size of all already placed core units. This change doesn’t affect building zone size).
- Improved voxel operation consistency and precision with cubes and triangular prisms.
- Improved looks of baked planet texture at mid and long distances.
- Improved speed and performance of texture baking.
- Improved the look and readability of cockpit widgets.
- Improved inventory look and readability.
- Improved the Network lag feedback so it displays more accurately (and likely less often).
- Improved link system so it’s now properly server-controlled. Player feedback on linking gameplay has also been enhanced. Note that this may require you to relink some elements on your constructs.
- Improved some elements (windows, glass slates…). Note that their default orientation may have changed, which may require you to rotate those you have already placed.
- Improved limitations on how many high-detail constructs can be displayed at once to improve performance.
- Improved territory unit looks so they give visual feedback on their ownership.
- Improved cylinder placement so their ghost always matches the results (it now stretches in two axis at once).
- Improved popups so they can now be validated by hitting “Enter”.
- Improved biome shaders for better blending.
- Improved radar decorative elements (3 sizes).
- Fixed several server-side performance and load scaling bugs.
- Fixed a bug where loading would be stuck on 100% for a long time.
- Fixed a bug where players would be able to delete non-empty core units (by alt-clicking it).
- Fixed a bug where hitting “Reset” in the character customization menu wouldn’t reset colors to their last saved state.
- Fixed a bug where entering hexadecimal color codes on the color picker wouldn’t work in the character customization menu.
- Fixed a bug where players would still respawn at a destroyed or removed resurrection node’s location.
- Fixed the setSVG LUA documentation page.
- Fixed a bug where footstep SFX wouldn’t play as expected in the Arkship’s start room.
- Fixed a bug where selected construct or bookmark information would fail to appear on the Maps menu.
- Fixed a bug where fetched constructs would fail to fall on the ground.
- Fixed a bug where core unit wouldn’t accurately be positioned at the center of the building zone.
- Fixed a bug where sea level would appear to shift when far away from the planet.
- Fixed a bug where the “Fetch” command would teleport construct’s upside-down.
- Fixed a bug where the “Fetch” command would fail and display an error.
- Fixed a bug where the refuel tool UI wouldn’t display as expected.
- Fixed a bug where logging in on a new computer with an already created character would have you spawn back at the Arkship.
- Fixed a crash when starting a cockpit under certain conditions.
- Fixed a bug where cockpits could be enabled via a signal link (which allowed players to be “forced” to enter a cockpit or enter a detection zone, for example).
- Fixed a bug where a newly linked LUA slot would keep the properties of formerly linked elements.
- Fixed a bug where an item’s icon would remain on screen when opening the Map menu during an inventory drag’n drop.
- Fixed a bug when using the translate function (hit “T”) on a moving ship.
- Fixed a bug where gravity vector would frantically shift when on a moving ship near a planet.
- Fixed several UI-related bugs (mainly UI elements disappearing or sticking to the screen).
- Fixed a bug which used to limit the client-side download speed.
- Fixed a bug where territory units wouldn’t properly show on some planets.
- Fixed a bug where minimap orientation would stay frozen.
- Fixed a bug with gravity vectors on some moons.
- Fixed a bug where swapping items between containers and the inventory wouldn’t work.
- Fixed several bugs with the “Line” tool.
- Fixed several bugs which could cause constructs to vanish (they were usually teleported very far away).
- Fixed a bug where players would be able to place core units out of their reach using the Translate function.
- Fixed a bug where asteroids didn’t have any gravity.
- Fixed a bug where players wouldn’t be able to pitch and roll while piloting in space.
- Fixed construct parenting bugs on client disconnection.
- Fixed several server-side performance issues.
- Fixed some cases where ship engine sound fx would play with no engines around.
- Fixed a recurring VRAM crash. This was found to account for nearly t half of Pre-Alpha client crashes by itself.
- Fixed recurring UI-related crashes.
- Fixed several rendering crashes.
- Fixed potential server crashes.
- Tutorial workshops may be temporarily inaccessible for January 26th test.
- There may be some unexpected instability, due to multiple changes in the version.
- There is a visual glitch around login page text fields.
- Links show no color feedback.
- Check marks for Settings are not displayed.
- It’s possible to “glitch through” the start room’s window without using the teleporter.
- Placed windows may have their orientation changed.
- Core unit sizes on existing constructs have shifted.
- Link system has been reworked, you may have to relink some elements.